Translational Science Benefits
Community & public health benefits (Health promotion)
Resources that enhance health promotion and disease prevention in communities or populations. Disease prevention resources focus on reducing the development and severity of disease, such as vaccination and maternal and child health programs. Health promotion resources focus on empowering people to take control of their own health by increasing healthy behaviors, such as nutrition counseling services or support groups. Other indicators can have implications for disease prevention, including community health services, health education or policies.
Disease prevention & reduction advances are created through clinical research, but the methods of that research are instructed by how it will be adapted into the population and practice-based evidence (translational research). Meaningful disease prevention & reduction research is informed by clinical and translational research. For example, a very expensive vaccine that has 100% efficacy rate will not translate into as effective disease prevention and reduction intervention as an inexpensive vaccine with 90% efficacy rate.
Advice from authors on searching for information:
Without specific analyses, it may be challenging to attribute disease prevention and reduction in populations to a specific clinical and translational research project. Researchers may want to consult with domain specific experts. Self-reported researcher data may be required to connect specific research findings to resources that prevent and reduce disease in populations.
Working with non-academic partners and stakeholders can inform important sources. Demographic categories (inconsistency over time, representation of populations or subgroups, etc.) should also be considered.
Resources & Data
Organizations, repositories, websites, and other sources where you can find more information:
- Saint Louis County Missouri Health and Wellness. This website provides information for a range of diseases that impact St. Louis with links to local and national resources on interventions and techniques to prevent the spread or change behaviors associated with the disease.
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion – Health.gov. This website includes federal Action Plan resources for different diseases that have been approved of the HHS. They have tabs for the general categories of drug use, health-care associated infections, and immunizations for infectious diseases.
- Research-Tested Intervention Programs (NCI). This website provides a database of evidence-based cancer control interventions. Topic areas include breast cancer screening, HPV vaccination, obesity, etc. Researchers can submit their own programs for inclusion.
Challenges you may encounter while searching for information:
Resources related to disease prevention and reduction may be more difficult to locate for specific geographic locations.
Articles, books, and other publications in translational science using the indicator:
- Garner AS, Shonkoff JP, Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health, et al. Early childhood adversity, toxic stress, and the role of the pediatrician: translating developmental science into lifelong health. Pediatrics. 2012 Jan;129(1):e224-31. doi: 10.1542/peds.2011-2662.
- Ely EK, Gruss SM, Luman ET, et al. A national effort to prevent Type 2 diabetes: participant-level evaluation of CDC’s National Diabetes Prevention Program. Diabetes Care. 2017 Oct;40(10):1331-1341. doi: 10.2337/dc16-2099.
- Katula JA, Vitolins MZ, Rosenberger EL, et al. One-year results of a community-based translation of the Diabetes Prevention Program: Healthy-Living Partnerships to Prevent Diabetes (HELP PD) Project. Diabetes Care. 2011 Jul; 34(7): 1451-1457. doi: 10.2337/dc10-2115.
Shaping positive patterns of eating behavior in young children
Using Implementation Science to Enhance Responsiveness of a Universal Prevention Curriculum to Meet Student Needs
Using implementation science to enhance the Michigan Model
Implementing the Mothers and Babies program in Baltimore City