Creation of businesses or non-profit agencies.
Organizations that are established as a result of an existing need in translational research or a need identified through clinical and translational research can have benefits all along the translational research continuum. Potentially, organizations could arise that, for example: connect basic scientists and clinicians in specific areas to move studies forward, aid in the dissemination of new diagnostic procedures, or help increase access to services in low-resourced communities.
Advice from authors on searching for information:
The background information on how a business or non-profit entity was founded either directly or indirectly as a result of advances in clinical or translational science may be difficult to locate in general, and more or less straightforward to find in specific instances. Those researchers and administrators interested in a particular organization should first try to contact founders or original researchers from the source project. Others interested in more general examples of organizations arising out of translational research may try to narrow searches to specific sectors (e.g., non-profit organizations in genomic services or businesses offering health care transportation services).
Resources & Data
Organizations, repositories, websites, and other sources where you can find more information:
- Gateway Center for Giving. Near comprehensive database of non-profits in the St. Louis region containing several points of information for each.
- St. Louis Business Directory & Yellow pages. General listings of local businesses.
- St. Louis Community Foundation. Information and other resources to identify and locate non-profit organizations.
- United Way of Greater St. Louis. Local chapter of the general non-profit coordinator and service provider in the metropolitan area.
- Guidestar Directory. Listing of US charities and non-profit organizations. Note that an account may be necessary (through University or business) for full access.
- Union of International Associations. Organization offering datasets and variables on non-profit and associational organizations. Some data require fees for access.
- US Securities & Exchange Commission. List of registered US companies.
Challenges you may encounter while searching for information:
While there are many lists of both non-profit organizations and businesses at many geographic levels (e.g., local, state, national, regional, and global), most are incredibly lengthy and may or may not contain information on the rationale for the founding of each entity.
Articles, books, and other publications in translational science using the indicator:
- Denis-Claude R, Alarco AM, Rosario I. CellCAN: A Unique Enabler of Regenerative Medicine and Cell Therapy in Canada. Stem Cells and Development. 2014 Dec;23(S1). doi: 10.1089/scd.2014.0354.
- Zaratin P, Battaglia MA, Abbracchio MP. Nonprofit foundations spur translational research. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2014 Nov;35(11):552-5. doi: 10.1016/j.tips.2014.09.003.